Wednesday, June 20, 2007

St. Louis

St. Louis is ranked the Most Dangerous city in the U.S. for 2007. However, I have recently found out that this data is heavily skewed because St. Louis is an independent city and the surrounding suburbs are not counted in this factor. Much of St. Louis county and St. Charles county are not included in this crime ranking. This makes it so the only parts of St. Louis that are counted are rougher areas such as downtown and East St. Louis. The rape rate per 100,000 residents in East St. Louis was 342.4 compared to 17.6 in New York. This is insanely high. I mean, its like rapes are happening daily in East St. Louis. And the murder rate per 100,000 is 63.4 which is also insanely high. The assault rate is 6,489. These are figures that are just unheard of.

So, I am not saying that St. Louis is not rough because those figures obviously speak for themselves. But I am just not sure if St. Louis is the Most Dangerous. Also, St. Louis has a strong gang presence. Strangely enough the gang structure in St. Louis, especially East St. Louis, reminds me of the structure in Oakland. Many of the gangs were set up back in the olden days and are based around drug trafficking in localized neighborhoods. I definitely do think that due to the high crime rates and murder rates the gangs of St. Louis do bring about a strong claim for the title of Most Dangerous. It is always a tough call.

2 comments:

stompoutboy said...

im from the north side of st.louis.itz dangerouz.beefin wit one is beefin wit too many.i can name over 20 gangs in my middle school.and over 100 clikz.itz rough.i waz subjected 2 it.kidz r outlawz and parentz dont care ne more.my bikes been stole.my momz cell phone,80 dollas,my ps2 we caught the guy and he ran all i had on was boxerz and cudnt catch up.lotz of people hate.every girl has bout 10 mo dudes in line 2 go with them.so a beef is started everyday.hit me up if u got ne questionz bout st.louis

DrJay said...

for sure, yea i might have to hit u up for some more info about St. Louis cuz i'm not able to make it out there too often.

Google